ACLS is not able to offer fellowships or grants for the following activities:
- Undergraduate study;
- Curricular, pedagogical, or other studies directed primarily toward the improvement of education, or for the preparation or revision of textbooks;
- Editing and publication of research already in manuscript;
- Straightforward translation projects;
- Travel for lecturing, teaching, or participating in meetings, conferences, or workshops (except for Comparative Perspectives on Chinese Culture and Society grants, the Luce/ACLS Program in China Studies, and ACLS Digital Extension Grants);
- Creative work (e.g., novels, films, performance, or music composition).