The Robert H. N. Ho Family Foundation Program in Buddhist Studies, administered by the American Council of Learned Societies, invites applications from colleges and universities wishing to establish or expand teaching in Buddhist studies. This new opportunity for seed funding complements other competitions funded by The Robert H. N. Ho Family Foundation.
- Institutions of higher education from across the globe are eligible to apply for grants up to $300,000 (to be expended over four years) in support of new teaching positions in Buddhist studies.
- Award funds should be used only for the new professor’s salary, benefits, and research expenses, not for indirect or administrative costs, or office expenses.
- In addition, applicant institutions are welcome to request funds for costs related to a competitive search for the proposed position. The request must not exceed the $300,000 maximum award.
- Applications should include a multi-year plan for matching at least 1/3 of Foundation funding over the grant period, but the matching ratio need not be the same each year. (Please see a sample schedule for sequenced funding that meets the matching requirement here.)
- A letter must be attached to the application from the institution’ s president, vice-chancellor, rector, provost, or dean expressing the institution’s commitment to maintain the seeded position as a permanent, tenure-track post after the expiration of The Robert H. N. Ho Family Foundation funding.
- The heart of the application will be an essay outlining the proposed position—its responsibilities, departmental location, and fit with the institution’s mission and curricular plans. The essay should also describe the search for filling the new position, including the qualifications sought in potential applicants.
Online application forms will be available at ofa.acls.org/ in mid-September 2015.
Completed applications must be submitted through the ACLS Online Fellowship Application system no later than 9 pm Eastern Standard Time, January 20, 2016.
Questions should be directed to email@example.com.