Research Editor, American National Biography
The American Council of Learned Societies seeks applications for an appointment as research editor of the American National Biography (ANB). The ANB (www.anb.org) is published online and in print by Oxford University Press in association with ACLS.
Candidates should be trained in the field of American history (a Ph.D. or its equivalent), demonstrate an interest in a career in scholarly publishing, and offer editorial and writing experience. Working closely with the general editor and OUP’s publishing team, the research editor will:
- research possible new subjects and contributors
- compile lists of suggestions from sources such as obituaries
- coordinate/collaborate with specialist advisors
- edit submissions from contributors, checking factual information and re-styling as necessary
- research sources of standard factual information to fill in gaps in data
- correspond with contributors about revisions to their entries
- assess suggested amendments or additions to entries
- respond to copy/proof/author queries
- assist in the preparation of promotional material relating to new updates and entries
- contribute to outreach activity, including updating teaching resources and topical material
This is, initially, a part-time position. ACLS will engage the research editor as an independent contractor or by purchasing release time from another employer. While occasional meetings with the general editor and OUP will be necessary, the research editor may work from any location. Applications consisting of a cover letter and c.v. should be sent to email@example.com.
ACLS is an equal opportunity employer.