Job Title: Philanthropy Associate, Office of Philanthropy
Location: New York, NY
Reports to: The philanthropy associate reports to the director of philanthropy
Overview of ACLS
American Council of Learned Societies is dedicated to the advancement of humanistic studies in all fields of learning in the humanities and the social sciences and the maintenance and strengthening of relations among the national societies devoted to such studies.
Overview of Department
The Philanthropy Department’s role is to develop and execute ACLS’s plan to secure financial resources from individuals and family foundations. Newly formed in 2016, the department is charged with rapidly expanding the scope of ACLS’s individual giving program, with a focus on major and planned giving. Activities will include identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major gift prospects; supporting the efforts of ACLS leaders to raise major gifts; creating a planned giving program; and partnering with the director of member relations and executive assistant to the president on the Annual Fund. These activities will intensify as ACLS approaches its Centennial in 2019 and a probable capital campaign of ambitious scope.
The Philanthropy Associate will provide administrative support for ACLS’s individual giving program. S/he supports the work of the director in the day-to-day operations of the program, performs research, maintains the database for the program, and prepares outreach materials and reports.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Maintain the accuracy, functionality, and integrity of donor database records that relate to individual giving and the proposed capital campaign; run database queries
- Assemble database and other reports on activity and progress
- Provide administrative support to the departmental director, including calendaring, travel and meeting arrangements, and expense report filing
- Draft, edit, format and proof correspondence and proposals
- Manage routine mailings, via post and email, including solicitations and pledge reminder notices
- Process gifts and generate acknowledgements
- Engage in prospect research and prospect qualification; draft prospect briefings
- Prepare materials and data for internal prospect meetings
- Conduct outreach to secure meetings for the director of philanthropy and ACLS solicitors
- Schedule meetings and manages logistics
- Create and/or assemble materials for donors
- Provide customer service to donors and prospects via phone and email
- Draft and maintain individual giving and campaign information on the website
- Prepare individual donor lists for publication
- Coordinate activities with other ACLS departments as necessary, including collaborating with web and information systems on technical projects and finance on gift processing and reporting
- Answer general telephone and email inquiries, greet and direct visitors, and sort and distribute mail to office
- Process payments and reimbursements for the department
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree
- 1-2 years of experience in an administrative capacity or office environment, preferably in nonprofit fundraising
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Superior organizational skills with strong attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize assignments in a deadline-driven environment
- Capacity to work both independently and collaboratively
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Willingness to try new tasks and learn skills on the job
- Proficiency in MS Office, particularly Word and Excel
- Experience with databases preferred
- Must be willing and able to travel to multi-day events within the US 1-2 times a year, and to attend and/or work infrequent after-hour and weekend events
- Must be able to push, pull and carry up to 20 lbs
How to Apply:
For immediate consideration, please forward your resume and cover letter to email@example.com and indicate your name and “Philanthropy Associate" in the subject line. Applications submitted without a personalized cover letter will not be considered.
We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with ACLS. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
ACLS is an equal opportunity employer and provides competitive salaries and benefits.
September 26, 2016