Executive Assistant to the President
ACLS has an exciting opportunity for a dynamic, motivated, thoughtful, and highly organized individual to support the President of the Council in the administration of all daily activities of the Office of the President. This position provides an opportunity to work closely with an executive in maximizing efficient use of the President’s time while also providing a high level of administrative support.
The ideal candidate for this position will have a keen attention to detail and the ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks in a skillful and timely fashion. The individual must also demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written, and is expected to maintain confidentiality and exhibit professionalism in all activities. The individual must be proactive and take initiative in identifying problems and devising solutions, and must have a strong sense of judgment, discretion and tact.
The position is one of three in the Office of the President: President, Director of Member Relations and Special Assistant to the President and Board, and Executive Assistant. The Executive Assistant reports to the President.
The American Council of Learned Societies is dedicated to the advancement of humanistic studies in all fields of learning in the humanities and the social sciences and the maintenance and strengthening of relations among the national societies devoted to such studies. ACLS does this through the direct support of scholars with research fellowships and grants, and by representing the work and value of the humanities to the public and policy-makers.
The President is the chief executive officer, conducting the Council’s business under the direction of the Board. The President’s Office focuses on governance and development, while supporting the president’s representation of ACLS through an intensive travel and meeting schedule.
- Provide administrative support to the President including managing a busy calendar, scheduling and prioritizing appointments, and making travel arrangements for international and domestic travel;
- Prepare daily preparation materials for the President including meeting materials, itineraries, previous correspondence, and background notes;
- Confirm all appointments and arrangements and keep the President updated on all schedule changes made on her behalf;
- Receive and screen all incoming calls and/or visitors to the President’s office and ensure appropriate follow-up to requests;
- Organize and maintain paper and electronic files;
- Be responsible for service requests for the President’s computer equipment and for warranties, updates, and international service for the President’s electronic devices;
- Process all payments and reimbursements related to President’s activities;
- Handle all correspondence, records, data gathering, and billing for Research University Consortium and Associate members:
- Be responsible for arrangements, meeting attendance, communication, data gathering, and follow-up invoicing for meetings convened by the President; and
- Assist President and Director of Member Relations in executing arrangements for and operation of major meetings.
- 3+ years relevant work experience providing administrative support in a dynamic, high-energy environment
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent required
- Exceptionally organized, detail-oriented, and able to manage multiple complex tasks
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, especially across all levels of the organization, and pleasant demeanor
- Flexible work style with the ability to work under tight deadlines and shifting priorities
- Motivated self-starter capable of working independently as well as within a team environment
- Exceptional writing, editing, and proofreading skills required
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- High level of professionalism with the ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information
- Problem-solving and critical thinking required
- Database experience preferred
For immediate consideration, please forward your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate your name and "Executive Assistant to the President" in the subject line.
Applications submitted without a personalized cover letter will not be considered.